Faculty Spotlight: Jacqueline Alfonso Barry – ePortfolios

A student's ePortfolio

A student’s ePortfolio

Instructor: Jacqueline Alfonso Barry, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychology

Course: PSYCH 4494-5: Internship in Psychology I & II

About the Project: Students completing an internship through the Department of Psychology create portfolios throughout the course of the internship. These portfolios include information about their sites, and regular reports on their progress. However in the past a physical portfolio “was cumbersome to put together, and not user-friendly in terms of using it to show prospective employers and graduate programs.” Professor Alfonso Barry wanted to “bring students into the 21st century” by using ePortfolios created in Google Sites. ATIG staff provided in-class training on using Google Sites and effective ePortfolio design and offered drop-in help throughout the semester.

Goals: The goals for this project were to help students modernize their portfolios and make them easier to work with by learning how to use Google Sites. A student’s ePortfolio was to contain his/her resume, information about the site where s/he was interning, short- and long-term goals, and documents tracking his/her progress including activity logs and reflections. Students were expected to “develop their own personalized professional website that depicts not only the work in which they are engaging over the academic year (i.e., internship site, duties, skills they are learning and sharpening, etc.), but also other unique highlights about themselves that come to life via both written (i.e., resume, volunteer work, leadership roles, professional writing samples) and visual media (e.g., photos of students in action completing service projects, internship materials they have developed).”

Process Reflection: According to Professor Alfonso Barry, “Students have found it exceptionally helpful to create their own sites that they can advertise in a number of ways, with many choosing to include their ePortfolio addresses on resumes, in graduate school applications, and in email and social media correspondence. Thus far they have been excited about the ability to continually add to their sites, as well as have the ability to “take their sites with them” upon graduation. In sum, it’s been wonderful to give students the knowledge and skills to market themselves, their skills, and their education in such an engaging format.”

Assignment Instructions:

ePortfolio Draft Assignment Instructions copy

The specifications given to students

Example ePortfolios:

Have questions about using ePortfolios or Google Sites in your courses? Contact Emily Strong.

This entry was posted in Faculty Spotlight and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Faculty Spotlight: Jacqueline Alfonso Barry – ePortfolios

1. Hi, just wanted to mention, I loved this article. It was practical.
    Keep on posting!

2. I pay a quick visit daily a few sites and websites to
    read posts, however this website offers quality
    based articles.

3. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author.
    I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will often come
    back later on. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

4. Hello, this weekend is good in support of me, as this moment
    i am reading this great informative post here at my house.

5. rumah batam says:

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in reality used
    to be a leisure account it. Look complicated to far introduced agreeable from you!

By the way, how can we be in contact?

6. program toko says:

It’s an remarkable post designed for all the online users; they
    will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

7. I every time spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s articles or reviews
    everyday along with a cup of coffee.

8. hope in my countri the students can follow these, hope you make good article again, thx for sharing

9. Bayu ramdan says:

thanks sir for informasion , helpful

10. Artfol says:

Great text! I thoroughly agree with the writer. But I am sure that there is much more to talk about. I’d love to debate with all of you. Come and check out my website. You will find a lot of juicy stuff there. See ya!

11. Barcocktail says:

I’m incredibly happy that I found this text. I am interested in the above topic, so that’s good to know that I’m not the only one. If anyone is ready to discuss it further, I invite you to visit my website so we can compare notes. You will for certain find lots of interesting stuff there.

12. What a wonderful website! There’s so much to discover here. I love when people produce with such a passion. Perhaps we can discuss it further? Join me on my blog!

13. So happy to happen uppon this website! Thanks for sharing. It is always great to expand your horizons.

14. Happy Smile says:

That’s a really good article! Thanks a lot for sharing! I’ve been looking for something like that for several months.

15. Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I
    guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m
    thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any tips and hints for novice blog
    writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

16. Thank for sharing, nice to meet this blog owner. Stay posting and keep sharing

17. thx you post great 😀

18. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

19. will not be published. Required fields are marked