Teaching Tips: Using Rubrics

A rubric is an authentic assessment tool used to measure students’ work. It is a scoring guide that seeks to evaluate a student’s performance based on the sum of a full range of criteria rather than a single numerical score. Rubrics offer students informative feedback on strengths and areas of needed improvement.

Why should I use a rubric? Rubrics set course expectations. They allow you to clarify course expectations and show students how to meet them. Students themselves become involved in the assessment process through self-assessment. This empowers students and as a result, their learning becomes more focused and self-directed. As a result of this self-assessment, time spent evaluating student performance and providing feedback can be reduced.

How do I create a rubric? Designing an effective rubric can be time-consuming. To get started, here are some tips:

1. Do not use generic rubrics without careful consideration of their quality and appropriateness for your project. Remember, these are your students, not someone else’s – you know them and your projects best.
  2. Be succinct and avoid extraneous detail.
  3. Do not combine independent criteria for example, “very clear and very organized”. The work might be clear, but not organized.
  4. Use key, teachable criteria, or “what counts”. Do not vaguely define levels of quality. For example: “Poorly organized” versus “Organization and Structure: The paper has a clear progression from one fully developed point to the next as it moves toward proving its intended thesis”.
  5. Use measurable criteria. Specify what quality or absence looks like versus comparative (“not as thorough as”) or value language (“excellent content”).
  6. Aim for an even number of levels. Create a continuum between least and most. Define poles and work inward. List skills and traits consistently across levels.
  7. Use students in creating or adapting rubrics. Consider using “I” in the descriptors. “I followed precisely – consistently – inconsistently – APA documentation format.”
  8. Do not let the rubric stand alone. Always provide specific comments on your rubric and/or on the student product itself.

Peruse this site for Sample Rubrics.

For more tips on creating effective rubrics and implementing them in your ECLearn courses, attend the upcoming ATIG workshop Tips for Designing and Using Rubrics on Tuesday, March 26th at 12:15pm in Admin 351.

References and to learn more:

This entry was posted in Teaching Tips and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Teaching Tips: Using Rubrics

1. Heeya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board
    and I find It truly helpful & it helped me ouut a lot.
    I hoppe to provide one thing back and aid others like you aided me.

2. Aurora Callo says:

I must tell you that it’s hard to find your posts in google, i found this
    one on 22 spot, you should build some quality backlinks in order
    to rank your page, i know how to help you, just type in google – k2
    seo tips and tricks

3. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to
    make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just
    posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening
    to read?

4. Ethel says:

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire
    in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

5. ban giam doc cao cap says:

this is good new. i like it. thank you

6. Hi! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room
    mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

7. windows 10 says:

What’s up all, here every one is sharing such knowledge,
    therefore it’s nice to read this website, and I used to pay a visit this web site everyday.

8. special thanks to you today because i had searched for a list of websites that accepts guest posts but today i founded first time an article which describes it so well, once again thanks!

9. Tip Teacher says:

Thanks a lot for sharing details.

10. Anindya says:

nice tutorial, love it.

11. I’m very happy to discover this great site. I want to to thank you
    for your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every part of
    it and I have you saved as a favorite to see new stuff in your
    website.

12. taj says:

The owner of this site has pretty much. Why the I agree with her. Wrote a lot of things well. I do not have a web site you can see on this topic.

13. It is truly a great and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

14. I’m very happy to discover this great site. I want to to thank you
    website.

15. Nice sharing tips. I love it

16. Welcome to our new Provenance website.

17. kpop says:

mantap bang

18. RichardGlync says:

Good day dear users!
    I need the qualified help, this video really will help me to earn money on binary options? If you don’t know the answer, I ask you to send this video to your friends who will be able to help me!
    Look, please, what do you think about it? Thank’s!